Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Big Day


Last Thursday hopefully was a huge step towards freedom for me. I made a formal request to the ND Dept. of Human Services for 24/7 in-home care. Tracy Briggs from WDAY Channel 6 in Fargo came out to cover the signing of my request.

It is very exciting to be a voice for change in the way our country takes care of folks needing medical and attendant care. There really needs to be some thinking outside of the box done to find solutions to institutions and nursing homes. Our society needs to empower us instead of penalizing us for having special needs. People like myself are living better and longer due to modern medical technology. Just because I use these technologies, doesnt mean I can't live in the community. I just need the help to do it though. Hopefully, the next few months will bring that for me.

Having the media keep covering these issues is fantastic. It was a great having WDAY out in Jamestown here to tell my story. I just wish more voices could be heard on this. The demand for community based care is gaining and the fight continues on harder than ever.

I will keep posting on the developments of my request to ND DHS for community based care. These are exciting times for sure.

Peace,

The Nodakwheeler

No comments: