Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Fun at the Fair





I’ve been a bit of a slacker with my blog lately but I’m trying to enjoy every moment of vacation that remains.  Things will be more balanced when schools starts and my video blogs should be returning in September.

The dog days of summer have settled in here in Missoula and we've been having the hottest temperatures of the summer.  Hey at least the skies are clear and we’re not having the heavy smoke we had last summer.   The fire situation is pretty stable for now and the rain we had over the weekend should help out.

The Western Montana Fair was in town last week and we went last Thursday.  It was a blazing hot day with temps near 100 but we had a very enjoyable time.  My highlight of the fair is always the selection of culinary delights and I was not disappointed.  I had my traditional Viking along with fresh squeezed lemonade, fry bread and a pulled pork sandwich.  Everything was delicious and I went home with a very happy belly.  

I also visited the 4H Barn and viewed the menagerie of critters inside.  They had goats, sheep, pigs, cattle, llamas, and of course horses.  A couple of the highlights were a 2600 pound long horn steer that was huge and the other was the adorable miniature horses that our former nurse Kimbra raises.  It was fun to be sniffed out by one of the minis.  I’ve included some pictures and I’d like to thank my friend Mandy for taking them for me.  The fair was a great time and I can’t wait until it rolls into town next August.

The countdown to fall semester is on and there are two weeks remaining of summer vacation.  I’ll be taking 12 credits and I had to tweak my schedule to fit with my nursing schedule.  My on campus classes will fall on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  I’ll also be taking an online class on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  This fall will be busy but I’m looking forward to the challenge that school will bring.  Hopefully I can knock the cobwebs off my brain without too much trouble J

I’m up late tonight watching the Olympics and wow what a wild few days it’s been.  The swimming has been my favorite and Michael Phelps has been absolutely dazzling to watch.  It’s amazing to see these athletes perform at a level that pushes the limits of the human body.  Hopefully Mr. Phelps can make history and win more gold medals than anyone has previously.

Stay well and I’ll return soon…Mark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liked the pictures of the animals. The horns on that steer are huge. Wouldn't want him chasing after me:-) Sounds like you enjoyed the 'Fair' food. Hard to believe you will be going back to the books soon. Enjoyed your blog as usual.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you Mark, sounds like you are one busy guy, am happy for you, as sitting in the nursing home all that time, now you are making up for it, right.
That must have been a large fair, its always fun to enjoy the food, hot dogs taste so different.
Thanks for writing Mark and enjoy the last days of your vacation.
Later
Ione