Sunday, May 17, 2009

Video project

Abuse, neglect, and forced isolation are things that unfortunately permeate the world of disability. These are difficult issues to discuss but remaining silent will do nothing to eliminate this scourge from society. Men with disabilities are just as vulnerable to abuse, neglect as our female counterparts. It is about time that this fact is realized and I'm going to be part of a project that will aim to achieve this.

There was a recent video project that was done in Oregon. It addressed similar issues of abuse and neglect that pertained to Oregon women with disabilities. This project was a success but it maybe wasn't as user friendly and as available as it could have been. A new video project is in the works that brings to light the abuses that men with disabilities have suffered and I have been asked to be one of the contributors.

I along with other Missoula and Portland men will be sharing stories of abuse & neglect at the hands of caregivers, partners, family, and institutions where some of us have resided. The Missoula shoot will happen in June and I really enjoyed meeting the other participants at a meeting last week. We make up a panel that crosses through many different disabilities and life experiences. I'm optimistic that our finished Internet based video will be a valuable tool in assisting people in a range of unhealthy situations. Information is power and it's the only way that abuse and neglect will be brought to a halt.

I'm fortunate that my nursing home term didn't involve severe abuse or neglect but there were some incidences that I experienced & observed. They were subtle things for the most part but looking back after almost 3 years they were things that shouldn't happen to anybody. Most of my caregivers treated me well but as they say every barrel has a few bad apples. It is my sincerest hope that this retelling of things that I experienced will empower someone else out there. That is all I could ask for.

Peace...Mark

It is often easier to become outraged by injustice half a world away than by oppression and discrimination half a block from home. ~ Carl T. Rowan

2 comments:

Wheelchair Hiker said...

Good luck on this video project. I think it will be very helpful. Please keep us updated on it's progress. Cheers - Mark

Anonymous said...

As always you and D lead the way!! Shyla