Thursday, August 26, 2004

A great day

Today I attended a meeting with several department heads of the ND Dept. of Human Services and other concerned folks. We discussed how to broaden the amount of community based services in the state for all people with disabilities. I was able to share my story of being on a vent and the barriers I face in wanting to return to living in the community.

We all had a good dialogue and talked about the legislative changes needed to allow for more people with disabilities to live in the community instead of in a institution. The local newspaper and a Fargo t.v station covered the meeting. I was on the channel 11 news tonight which was way cool.

I will keep fighting until all of us with disabilities are free to live where and how we want. There is much to be done but progress is slowly happening. I am glad to be working on ways to end the segregation of people with disabilities from society.

Peace,

The Nodakwheeler

No comments: