Saturday, January 08, 2005

Happy New Year!

2005 has started quickly for me. This week I helped draft a consumer controlled choice bill for introduction to the North Dakota legislature.

This bill will allow people with disabilities to hire, train, and pay their own attendants to do the things that need to be done for daily living. This will give choice to folks that for years have had little choice in running their lives.

Nursing homes and other institutions are not the answer for people that are very capable of living independently. With properly trained attendants, many folks could live in freedom and have a better quality of life. Living outside of an institution is much cheaper in most cases too.

I'll be giving all I can in the next several weeks to change the way the system is structured in my state. We must rid our society of the walls that keep people from the freedom they rightfully deserve.

The time for change is now!

The Nodakwheeler

No comments: