Sunday, November 13, 2005

College Trip

Last Thursday, I made a trip over to Jamestown College to speak to the junior class of the nursing program. I spoke about what it's been like to live as a ventilator user with muscular dystrophy.

It was a unique experience to be able to share my perspectives with these future nurses. As a person with a disability, I believe it's important to educate the people around us in the communities where we live. Having a disability is just part of living life and able bodied folks need to know that we are just like them. We have the same goals, dreams, hopes, and fears as they do.

By speaking to these nursing students, I truly believe a difference is being made. It's a small step towards people with disabilities being seen for whats inside instead of outside appearances.

Mark

No comments: