Thursday, December 22, 2005

Happy Holidays!



It's hard to believe that Christmas is again upon us. The time sure does fly that's for sure.

This past year has been a good one and there are a few highlights that I'd like to share. Last spring I started the Northern Plains Ventilator Support Network (NPVSN). The NPVSN is an Internet based support group that has become a growing forum for vent users to communicate. It's been awesome to meet many people from around the country and to have made many new friends. In the next year I look to expand the NPVSN and to continue meeting wonderful people.

2005 has also been a busy year for the disability advocacy work I've been involved with. In March I was interviewed by Tracy Briggs from WDAY TV in Fargo. She did a story on me being stuck in a nursing home and the great need for increased home and community based services/supports. The word needs to continue to spread that the current long term care system is not letting many people across this country choose where they want to live.

Also in 2005 I was selected by the International Ventilator Users Network to serve on their Consumer Advisory Committee (CAC). The CAC deals with issues and policy matters as it relates to the international ventilator community. We recently drafted a resolution that put forth our concerns as it relates to the current threats to Medicaid and other government programs. This resolution was sent to the President, several state Governors, and other important political folks. My hometown paper The Jamestown Sun also did a story on my involvement with the resolution.

These are a few of the highlights from the busy year gone by. There is much to do in '06 and I look forward to the adventures ahead of me.

Happy Holidays,

Mark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Searching for Travel Guide?
We have collected together in one convenient place a wide assortment of asia Travel Guide information.

Anonymous said...

Searching for Travel Guide?
We have collected together in one convenient place a wide assortment of australiaTravel Guide information.