Friday, December 22, 2006

Busy week

Tuesday I went to outpatient surgery for my first trach procedure but thankfully it wasn't much more than a glorified trach change. I have always had a cuffed trach since going on the ventilator back in 2003 and recently we've had trouble removing my old trachs. While I was under sedation, the doctor went in and pulled out the old trach, cleaned up some excess scar tissue, and then put in a new cuffless style trach. Things went fantastic and the entire medical team treated me very well. Hopefully this will be the end of trach problems for awhile.

We will be spending Christmas Eve here at the house and tomorrow we will be going out to dinner with Theresa's son David and his wife Sarah. On Christmas Day, we will be traveling out to near Superior to spend the day with Dustin's relatives. I definitely am missing having Christmas in North Dakota this year but I will be in touch with my family this weekend.

The best Christmas gift this year is the one of freedom. Regaining my freedom has been beyond a doubt one of the greatest experiences of my life and I want to thank everybody who has shown me their support along the way. There are more endeavors ahead in'07 and I look forward to sharing them with all of you.

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

Mark

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate -- George Burns

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, I remembered to pray for you about your procedure. I am thankful the team treated you well and you are done with all that before Christmas. It makes me so happy to know how free you are. My son is quite independent and it is a good feeling for him. It sounds like you will have a wonderful Christmas. You are a blessed man and you are a blessing to me.

Anonymous said...

Mark, as much as I hate to admit it Mom and I also feel quite differently this Christmas without you being home celebrating with your family. It is a comfort thought knowing your are extremely happy and Theresa and Dustin take such good care of you. We love you alot and miss you so much.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Mark, it was a year ago when you told me you were going to move to Missoula Montana in the spring of 2006! I thought "this kid is nuts"! Well, a year later, you are 'free' and living in Montana. You continue to teach us so much. Yes, your freedom and wonderful friends (Theresa & Dustin) are a wonderful gift. We do miss you always, but even more at Christmas. Oh well, there is more fudge, caramels and cookies for us I guess. No, seriously, it won't be the same. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Mark! You are an inspiration to us all & we enjoy hearing about your adventures.

Blessings,
Carolgene

P.S. Your beard is great!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark! Happy Holidays! I love the beard! It is You... Many things to be grateful for this year.
I am sure your family misses you here for sure. I miss ya! I love the posts however, and you truly have a glow about you.
I don't know if I had told you...I don't think I did, our oldest was burned at work in August, so we had been running with him to the cities, so I was a tad out of touch. He is mending very well. And you are so Busy! I love it...keep up the good work, your a gem... don't ever forget that!
Hi to your mom too....I miss seeing her as well.
Donene

Cindy said...

So happy for your Mark:-) Have a great holiday season!

Karen Putz said...

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate -- George Burns

Love this quote!