Thursday, May 10, 2007

Accepted

Today I received some news that I never thought I'd hear. I received my acceptance letter and now officially I'm a student at the University of Montana! This news comes with much happiness as well as anticipation and a bit of nervousness. Where this new road will lead remains to be seen but at least I'm on the road and ready for the journey ahead. As college approachs in late August, I'll keep the updates coming.

As I was getting ready to type this latest update, I realized that I forgot to share about my visit to MonTech last month. In case I didn't mention, MonTech is based on the campus of the University of Montana and it's an assistive technology resource center for people with disabilities.

Dustin and I made this appointment so we could demo some of the cutting edge computer access technology that's available. They setup the ERICA EyeGaze system and the Brain Fingers for us to try.

I tried out ERICA first and it was quite fascinating. The ERICA system allows a person to operate a computer by looking at what they want to click on. It achieves this by a camera that focuses on the pupil of the eye. It detects what your looking at and it was pretty easy to use and configure. The ERICA also is a tablet style computer and it's fairly portable. The downside is the $7,000 pricetag but there are various funding sources available to prospective users.

The next thing I tried was the Brain Fingers. The Brain Fingers was also pretty awesome and the technology it uses is like something straight out of Star Trek. To use the Brain Fingers you put on a headband type device called a Cyberlink. The Cyberlink detects electric signals from your facial muscles, eye movements and brain activity. The Brain Fingers software converts these signals into virtual fingers that operate the keyboard and/or mouse.

Using the Brain Fingers is a strange feeling at first but with practice it does work. I was put through several games that teach you how to train your brain waves. It's kinda hard to further explain but the Brain Fingers web site has a video showing the technology.

Our visit to MonTech was a fun way to spend an afternoon. The gals at MonTech were fantastic and very helpful in showing us these devices.

That's the latest from Big Sky country for now. Below are the links if you want to check out the products we tried out.

ERICA EyeGaze System

Brain Fingers

Dasher - a freeware program that is an alternative style onscreen keyboard

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mark!!!! All that MonTech stuff sounds so amazing. It also reminds of the song, "Mr. Roboto". : ) You will do well in school and we are happy for you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear about your acceptance into college! Lotsa luck!

Bex Loudmouth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bex Loudmouth said...

Mark, you don't know me but I linked through one of the DMD yahoo groups.My son is 6 1/2 with DMD. All I can say about college is YOU ROCK! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures.
Rebecca
www.twokindsofpopsicles.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow!! you are a busy guy Mark. Can't put into words how happy we are for you. Boy are you going to be one busy young man and also a very happy one. Montana sure have a lot more to offer then ND, I wonder why, I am sure they know whats available out there, but can't understand why we don't have it. Until next time. Ione

Anonymous said...

I am impressed with the Erica, very responsive. Hopefully I will have one soon.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Mark!! You will now enter the University Zone. May your life at UM be successful and not too stressful. Shyla

Anonymous said...

Mark, you just never cease to amaze me. Whats next? Maybe governor of Montana? Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Getting accepted into college is totally awesome. You should be proud of yourself in how far you have come. It's not an easy road to travel. You did it! I am very proud of you!
Love, Bec

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
Congratulations on your acceptance to UM! I don't know if we have met or not but I am the Director of the Alliance for Disability and Students at the University of Montana, a student group dedicated to advocacy, civil rights, and service on the UM campus. I would love to met with you and talk about what we do. I also have some experience with Montana Voc. Rehab. and other agencies that maybe able to help get you more technology like ERICA. Give me an e-mail and we can make some time before the semester starts. - Jon.Pielaet@umontana.edu