Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I survived...





I survived the craziness of last week and it's been so nice to relax the past few days. Even though it was a bit of madness last week, it was still a blast.

Things got underway last Tuesday night as Theresa and Dustin had their Big Sky Bonanza final get together/dinner. I was able to come along and it was a very relaxing time. Big Sky Bonanza is a new self direct waiver option here in Montana and they helped build it from the ground up. It's a great achievement and I'm very proud of the work and effort they have put forth. The evening ended with the premiere of the training video that was put together for this waiver. Dustin had a big part in the video and he did great as usual. There was a picture of me and Prince that snuck onto the video too!

On Wednesday the Montana Senior and Long-term Care Consumer Service Bureau Conference got underway. Boy that's quite a mouthful to say. Basically it's for Montana consumers of home & community based services and the related providers. It was held at the Hilton here in Missoula and the turnout was great. I had the opportunity to be on the consumer panel during one of Thursday's breakout sessions. It was great to once again tell my story of the great nursing home escape. We took some video but I haven't had time to edit it and put it up. I'll probably post it in the next week or two.

Thursday was absolutely crazy but it went great. I started out early that morning with my midterm exams. After the exams I had an interview with the UM news program on campus about what it's like for a student with a disability to attend college. I put up the clip on YouTube so everybody can check it out if they want. Then after my interview I had to get over to the conference center for lunch and my afternoon presentation. We spent the whole rest of the day there and ended it with a banquet and dance. It was so fun and normally I would sleep in the day after but on Friday my parents came in for the weekend.

Was so good to see them and show them around campus. There was a lot of energy on campus Saturday afternoon with it being homecoming. The Griz pulled off a 15-10 victory over Weber State.

My folks and I had a great visit and it was nice to spend time with them. As usual the time went by too fast but that's the way it goes. They plan on being back soon and I can't wait for their next visit.

I found out two of my midterm exam results on Monday. In mass media I got a 97% and in study skills I received 100% Anthropology results aren't in yet but I feel pretty confident about that. Hopefully things will keep going great for the rest of the semester. I can't believe it's almost time to register for spring semester. Where does the time go?

That's my wrap up for the crazy week gone by. Be back soon with another update.

Peace,

Mark

10 comments:

Jenn said...

Great interview Mark!

Anonymous said...

What a happy week you had Mark, all the goings at home coming and to top it off your parents came, nothing could be better. Am so happy you are doing so great in college,(altho I was not suprised)I bet the new wheels are nice!!
Mark we wish you the VERY BEST.
Until next time, take care.
Ione

Anonymous said...

We sure enjoyed the time we got to spend with you, but it seemed to go too fast. The campus is so beautiful and was nice to see where you have your classes. Appreciated the wonderful meal Theresa made (was delciious) and know why you don't look under nourished. Ha! Thanks again for a great time. Mom

Anonymous said...

I sure enjoyed seeing you last week. For some reason , your blog link did not come through on Sofast! Next time, though, we gotta get together longer!! I'll try to check more often. Shyla

Anonymous said...

You have much to be proud of, Mark! You are an inspiration to others, especially those who also want a life outside of an institution. Your accomplishments bring a big smile to my face!

Dwight said...

I always enjoy your posts Mark. I was wondering if you have ever considered using a Passey Muir (can't spell) to help make your speech a little easier for you. I use one that goes directly in line in my vent circuit and it helps me greatly. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I recently got my trach inserted, after 19 years of DMD. It was a bit too early if you ask me, but completely necessary. I've been finding it really hard to talk, because I'm used to talking in normal, long sentences without breaks. Do you have to do this too, or is it just me? Is it something I just have to get used to?

Anonymous said...

I really injoyed watching this video! It's really cool to hear your opinion, not just from a computerized reading. I'm legally blind and in a motorized wheelchair, so when my nurse played the video, it was so great to hear your voice. it would be so cool if you could make a few vlogs for all the blind fans out there. I'm sure there is more than just me...
thanks for being a leader for your disease and other disabled people all over!

Anonymous said...

I have DMD too, and am losing control over my hands. It's harder to control the joystick on my wheelchair. Do you use a joystick or a device controlled by your head?

Anonymous said...

When you're talking, why do you pause? Is it on purpose or is it something you can't control? I'm curious...