Friday, April 24, 2009

ADAPT Fun*Run




I'm one of a multitude of people who have survived terms of imprisonment in America's nursing home system. We have had to fight very hard for our freedom and our stories are all too familiar. Worsening of a disability, loss of funding, relapse of a mental illness, pressure from doctors or family, an accident or lack of community supports are all reasons why many of my brothers and sisters have been into institutions.

The institutional system is bleak in this country but there is hope for a better day. ADAPT is a national grassroots community of advocates fighting for community based care instead of nursing home/institutional care. ADAPT is currently working for passage of the Community Choice Act in Congress. The Community Choice Act would revamp the long term care system and put the emphasis on care being provided outside the walls of an institution. An individual needing care would be given a choice of where they want to live and receive services. I'm hoping that this vital bill will be passed by Congress this session.

ADAPT is holding their Spring action from April 25-30 in Washington D.C. Our dear Missoula friends Bob & Marsha are attending and we are with them in spirit. Bob & Marsha along with many other ADAPTers are holding a Fun*Run to raise money for the important work they do. It will be held in the Upper Senate Park and I hope the weather cooperates.

I'll be making a $30 pledge and I challenge my friends and family to meet or beat my donation. You can make a pledge by visting www.adaptfunrun.org and you can select ADAPT Montana to receive your donation. This will help Montanans like myself to attend national actions and support ADAPT's vision for community care. I thank you for your support!

Peace...Mark

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pledged to Bob about a month ago! Go ADAPT!!

BTW: Great blog Markie!!

T.

Anonymous said...

hello everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking for that meticulous model. The prices as regards the sneakers were all over 320 bucks everwhere. But finally I found this area selling them for half price. I absolutely love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

hello friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been looking for the sake of that exact brand. The prices due to the fact that the shoes are around 190 dollars on every site. But finally I bring about this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I in reality want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase them. what can you tell me about these?