Monday, July 20, 2009

Sad passing



As promised I've put together a slide show of pictures from my parents recent visit. They were taken around Missoula and on the trips we took to Stevensville and Flathead Lake at Polson. We had so much fun and it's cool to flip through these pictures again. I'm already looking forward to their fall visit and hopefully we'll be able to schedule it around a Griz football game. Oops how dare I mention football in July :-)

A giant in the journalism world was lost this past week when former CBS News anchor Walter Cronkite passed away. I may be too young to remember Walter in his heyday but I've seen plenty of footage to recognize his superior skill as a newsman. His emotional announcement of Pres. Kennedy's death has become a permanent part of American history.

As a journalism student I'm in awe of the gold standard that Walter Cronkite personified. If I'm only 1/10 as good someday as Walter was in his career and life, I'll be damn lucky. Sure is sad that we will never see another one like him ever again. Godspeed Walter and thanks for showing us what the news is all about. Below is a clip looking back on his incredible career.




Peace...Mark

Objective journalism and an opinion column are about as similar as the Bible and Playboy magazine.

Walter Cronkite

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I loved the slide show you put together of your parent's trip. Great pictures.

And yes, very sad about Walter Cronkite, though I hate to admit it I thought he had died years ago. :-(

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the slide show Mark! Who ever took them did a nice job too :-)
It is sad to know that jounalism will never return to the standard that Mr Cronkite set.
Love to see the pictures and recall the great time we had. Thanks!!
Love
Mom

Anonymous said...

Mark, wow some nice pic. and also how great it was to have your mom with you and also a visit from dad, don't get any better then that, right. Mark you look so good and healthy, put on a feww pd. which you needed, I wish you hadtaken my pds. tho. ha ha
Much happiness Mark and take care.
Prayers
Ione