Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Every second counts

Last night I started reading Lance Armstrong's second book “Every Second Counts”. This book covers his life after battling cancer, having kids, and winning his 1st Tour De France. In the first chapter he talks about living his daily life after facing death. He tries to do all he can to get the most satisfaction out of life. He said that we all have a choice how we handle each day. I very much agree with that.

My disease of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy has made me think about death. Something not pleasant mind you but a reality none the less. When I was having respiratory failure, I made a choice to go on a ventilator to stay alive. People have said it was a brave thing to do but I really don't think so. I just did what I had to do to keep going, simple as that. I wasn't ready to quit living.

Now that those days of transition are over, I now face each day with many possibilities. I have tried to choose to live with as much of a positive light as I can. Though some days I get down about things and that’s fine but I just can't stay that way. I just find something to refocus me on where I want life to take me.

I just want to keep spending time with my family and friends, advocating for people with disabilities, educating people on vent use, and enjoying the things I love like music, reading, my computer stuff.

Life is short and precious. We need to make every second count.

The Nodakwheeler

No comments: