Friday, January 19, 2007

Fiber Optic Fun


It's been a little bit since I've posted but you know how the days have a way of slipping away on a person. Here's a few things that I have been doing.

Monday I went with Theresa to the Hilton to visit with Mary (my OT) and representatives from Invacare. We got together to discuss what different options are on the market for me to control my new chair. They had a fiber optic system for me to try and it went pretty well. The fiber optic controls are two very small sensors that require the operator to cover the beam of light emitted by the sensors. The movement of the chair depends on what sensors are covered by the user. I was able to drive pretty well with the fiber optics and they are a good possibility for me. We have another style of controller to possibly try before any final decisions are made. It really amazes me at how far wheelchair technology has developed over the years.

We had planned on spending two days in Helena this week but we had to spend Wednesday afternoon at the dealership getting the van worked on. Next week we will be staying in Helena from Tuesday-Friday to do some testifying at the state legislature, attending meetings and going to some social functions. I'll return with another update after I get back next week.

I thought I'd share another pug pic. This one is of Ugga sitting on the top of my mattress awaiting a dropped bit of food. She will sometimes even rest her chin on my forehead :-) Our Pugs are quite the entertaining bunch and they are always up to something.

Take care until next week!

Mark

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark,
I know, I know it has been a while eh? I'm sure you know by now that I passed my boards (whew!) and I am working at the wonderful state hospital! You look great and I am very happy for you. You truly are an inspiration. My husband is pretty interested in Butte MT- his brother lives there. Do you know much about Butte?
Take care
Stretch

Cindy said...

HAHAHA, love the photo Mark!

Brock said...

Hey Mark,
Just thought I would drop a note, say hi. I didn't get a chance to watch any football this weekend, any idea who is going to the Superbowl from the NFC? Oh yeah, the Bears, I forgot for a second. Anyways, glad to see and hear that everything's going well. Nice work on the beard, looks good!! Good Luck with everything.

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I agree w/ Brock that the beard looks good. You're just a handsome gent! :)

I am learning so much from your posts. The new technology sounds like a miracle from God.

I'm sure the time at the legislature will both tire you & energize you. I will pray that it is productive.

Blessings,
Carolgene

Erinn said...

This was ggreat to read