Sunday, January 28, 2007

Helena Highlights



Last Tuesday with a full packed van and our old Pug in tow, we took off for Helena to spend the week. We had some legislative duties at the Capitol and Dustin had a MAP board meeting. We had a really good week and here's a somewhat brief rundown I'd like to share.

When we got into Helena we headed over to the state Capitol. We arrived a little late for the legislative luncheon but Dustin needed to find and talk to Senator Squires about a bill he wanted introduced this session. I got a brief look around the Capitol after Dustin got his business done. We then went over to the hotel to check in and get settled in a bit. Our Pug Prince was pretty pooped out after a long day as the picture shows. We finished off the night by having supper over at Applebee's.

We took our time getting ready Wednesday morning and enjoyed a really nice breakfast. There was a few things to do at the Capitol before we took Dustin to his evening meeting. After we dropped Dustin off at his meeting, Theresa and I thought we'd head over to the Capitol to catch Gov. Schweitzer's State of the State address. We found out the address is by invitation only so we decided to grab some food and watch the speech from our hotel room. While watching the Governor, I got a very nice surprise. My uncle Randy was in Helena and he stopped in for a visit. We had a great visit and it was very nice to see some family.

Thursday was our busy day of the trip. We got up early so we could testify in front of the Health and Human Services Committee about expanding Montana Home and Community Services. I was really impressed with how many caregivers and people with disabilities showed up to testify. It was very moving to see my fellow Montanans testify on how community based services enrich their lives and keep them out of the dreaded nursing home. There were so many people testifying that by the time I got my turn I was given 30 seconds to speak. It was a great first for me and I look forward to getting another chance.

We finished off Thursday by attending the Montana Advocacy Program awards banquet. There were some incredible award winners and the personal stories shared were awesome.

This wraps up our week in Helena and it was nice to get home to the Pugs and my bed. Take care and I'll be back soon with another update.

Mark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I would like to know is how you said everything you had to say in only 30 seconds. Glad you were able to participate in this.

Anonymous said...

Mark, we are so proud of you and also happy to know you are able to travel around and do so many things. I see where only 1 Pug got to travel with you, bet the others were glad to see you when you got home. Keep that nice big SMILE, am so happy that you found such a great place to live, this lady sounds so good for you guys.
Prayers Ione

Anonymous said...

Mark: How did you say everthing in thirty seconds? I got three minutes and..well

When the weather clears andit's spring I gotta come see you, Dustin, Theresa, and the pugs!!

Takin' a break from work!

Shyla

Anonymous said...

Mark... sounds like you are having way to much fun in Montana living your life outside of the nursing home... I am so happy for you... I have to tell you that the pugs look like they love you very much... and snuggling right in.. Does that mean you got rid of the girl on the ceiling... Terri Yager..