Saturday, June 30, 2007

Catching my breath




I've survived orientation and after catching my breath I finally can say I'm a student at the University of Montana.

Things got underway on Wednesday with a tour of the campus. The campus is beautiful and I must say it's not quite as big as I expected. After the tour I had an afternoon of placement testing to see where I would be in the areas of math and English. I placed where I wanted for English but math was a little weaker.

Thursday I had to be on campus at 8:30 and I wasn't crazy with that but mornings were never a favorite of mine. The day was spent learning the University computer system and getting a workable class schedule before meeting my advisor. We attended a noon lunch at the University Center and it was really good.

Friday was really the highlight of the week. I had an orientation session at the School of Journalism and got to meet the Dean and some of the professors. The School of Journalism just opened a stunning new building and we are the very first class to set foot in Andersen Hall. The 2nd and 3rd picture this week was taken at the new building.

I met my advisor after the Journalism orientation and we went through my schedule. Things looked good and then I signed up for my classes. I'll be starting part-time and I will be taking Intro to Mass Media, Intro to Anthropology, and English Composition. All my classes will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays and that's what I really wanted.

All in all orientation was a great experience and I feel really prepared for fall semester. I'm excited for the adventure ahead and it should be one interesting ride.

Well that's a wrap for the busy week gone by. Happy 4th and I'll catch ya later.

Peace,

Mark

6 comments:

Cindy said...

How exciting Mark! You've come a long way baby! When we first "met" you where in a nursing home, now you are a college student. How cool is that!?:-)
Best of luck on your new adventure and thanks for keeping us all up-to-date.
Cindy (tracheostomy.com)

Anonymous said...

Happy,happy,happy, is about all I can say. Wow who would have thot. a year ago Mark would be entering college in Montana. It sure looks like a beautiful place.You have proven that never give up pays, what a mentor you are to many others. We are so proud of you, hope the Jmst. Sun does a story of this. Gods Blessings to you Mark.
Ione

Anonymous said...

Happy,happy,happy, is about all I can say. Wow who would have thot. a year ago Mark would be entering college in Montana. It sure looks like a beautiful place.You have proven that never give up pays, what a mentor you are to many others. We are so proud of you, hope the Jmst. Sun does a story of this. Gods Blessings to you Mark.
Ione

jolene said...

Mark,

Since I finally learned to use the computer and navigate the web, (so sad it took me this long) I have caught up on your blog. Let me tell you what an inspiration you have been to me. If I feel down or out of sorts, all I do is remember your determination!! You're awesome. Are you sure you want to pursue journalism or should it be motivational speaking??!

Love, Aunt Jo

Anonymous said...

College was one of the best things I've done in my life. Made great friends and got an education to boot. I wish I could go back in time and relive those years. Congrats Mark and good luck in the fall!
Kimi

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark: Are you going to have time for all you do?? Remember you have the support of many.
Shyla