Monday, June 18, 2007

The Fastest Indian

I saw The World's Fastest Indian over the weekend and wow what a phenomenal film it turned out to be. It tells the life story of New Zealander Burt Munroe (played by Anthony Hopkins) and his desire to race his vintage Indian Scout motorcycle and set the world speed record at Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats in 1967.

Burt is a quirky and eccentric fellow and he's got no doubt that his home-modified relic of a bike can stun the world and set the record. Now there are plenty of doubters of Burt and they think he's a crazy old coot that will probably only kill himself in this chase of the dream.

Burt pays no mind to these negative thinkers and sets his mind on the goal at hand. In the drama filled ending Burt achieves this grand record and he teaches us the importance of never giving up.

When I decided to leave the nursing home I had this same fire in my belly. There were a fair share of people that thought I was nuts or at least slightly off my rocker. I knew freedom could be mine if I only thought positive and never gave up. My persistence paid off and I'm on the verge of a 10th month here in Montana and I'll be in college very soon.

I challenge you the readers of my blog to live your life like Burt and reach for whatever you want to accomplish in this life. Nobody can stop you if you just believe in yourself.

Here's a brief update before I finish. My knee is much better and I hopefully be pain free in a few days. Tomorrow I head over to the University and meet my Disability Services person and we'll be going through what accommodations I'll need for fall semester. Orientation follows next week and I'm sure it will be the being of a great college experience.

That's all for this go round and I promise some pictures for next week.

Peace,

Mark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark, Glad everything is working out for you, you are really doing great and the adventures ahead of you will keep you busy and happy, look at all the new people you will meet. Its hard to understand why we don't have more to offer in ND. Maybe a young man named MARK will light up the way and show what can be done and not have to be in a nursing home.Love to get your messages, thanks for that Mark.
Take care,and watch the brakes on your chair, ha ha Ione

Anonymous said...

Mark,
If you could e-mail me, I would appreciate it. I don't have your e-mail address and have some information for you I think you will find useful. I noticed you are getting ready for school, and I have some info I think you may find interesting. We had a workshop at the school on a piece of Mac software that I kept on thinking would be fantastic for you and Laurie came up to me and was thinking the same think. If you could e-mail me with your new address I can give you more info!!!! Good luck and Coreen says "Hi"!
Mark C

Anonymous said...

What you say in your blog is so true. We think our time is limitless, or that someone will create a situation for us. I think this quote fits you Mark. "I don't want to come to the end of my life and find that I have just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well." (Don't know who stated this) Your courage and persistence in life have don you well. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.