Sunday, August 26, 2007

Final countdown

The college countdown is now in its waning hours and the excitement is really starting to come to a peak. I'm still in a state of shock that all this is really going to happen. I guess life is all about getting the most out of each opportunity as it comes along.

I almost attended college at Lake Region College in Devils Lake ND after graduating high school in 1993 but there was some problems in getting the needed attendant care to live on campus. That seems like such a long time ago and it is really funny how things come full circle.

My classes will all be on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which will make for a two long days, but that's the way I wanted things setup. I'll be taking Intro to Mass Media, Intro to Anthropology, English Composition and Learning Strategies for Higher Education. This all amounts to 11 credits and it puts me as a part time student. Hopefully everything will fall into a nice routine after this first week.

This past week has been busy last Tuesday we had a important meeting at Summit Independent Living Center. We met with Suzanne Payne (a staffer) from the Senate Finance Committee and discussed the upcoming hearing on the Community Choice Act. There were several of us at the meeting that have been segregated in institutions and we had the opportunity to share our experiences. I said that living on the outside of a nursing home provides a much higher quality of life and so much more dignity towards the individual. I also said that the word institution needs to be erased from society and that we can do so much better in how we take care of people with disabilities.

Our stories really seemed to make a powerful impact on the need for changing the institutional bias in Medicaid funding. Hopefully Senator Baucus will cosponsor this bill and help move it through the Senate. The hearing will be held in Washington sometime in late September and I'll make sure to post the link to the live testimony when I find out.

I'll be back this weekend with a little review of the first week of school and I also have a big surprise to share as well. Take care until then.


Peace,

Mark

10 comments:

About This Blog said...

I am so excited for you. It makes me think that I will be able to do it to - different obsticles - but obsticles none the less. Keep me posted - it's a thrill to experience even second hand.

Anonymous said...

How well I remember the excitement that you may be going to college in '93 only to have those dreams disppear like dust in the wind. Good luck son I know you will do it.

Jason G said...

Mark,

I wish you the best of luck with school! Let us know about how your first day goes.

When I went to college, I too started out slow, and did Tuesday and Thursday classes only. To tell you the truth I think one gets more out of Tuesday/Thursday classes because there is more class time to learn and more homework time to contemplate. I managed to get nearly all my classes on Tuesday/Thursdays during my entire college career, which started at the local community college and ended with me graduating at a Jesuit University, Rockhurst University, here in Kansas City.

I am really excited for you and I have no doubt you're really going to enjoy the experience, and, of coure, learn a load.

---Jason

Anonymous said...

Hey stud! I am very excited for you to be going to school. I wish i had half the tenacity that you do but i guess school isn't for everyone. Your a strong person and once you set your mind to something there is no turning back. I know you will do well. I always say you got the book smarts and I, well, got something! :) I am very proud of you and know you can do it. Good luck and take care. Bec

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark, Good luck on your 1st week @UM. I know you'll do well. Iloved reading your dad's comments.Life here in Great Falls is topsy-turvy.SHYLS

Jenn said...

How cool! Good luck with school. I'm sure you'll do great! Jenn

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Mark, I thot about you all day, we pray all went well, and knnowing Mark, it did and will. When you get time you will let us know your 1st in college, wow what a word COLLEGE. Take care and like everyone unless until next time.

Ione

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark! Congrats on the new chair!I wish I was still going to college as I loved it so much. I am so happy for you! Give your Harley pug a special hug from me today and keep on keeping on~You ROCK!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark. I'm on the Senate Finance Committee staff that is chaired by Senator Baucus from Montana and I love your story. How can I get in touch with you? I'm at susan_douglas@finance-dem.senate.gov