Sunday, August 05, 2007

Saturday at the fair



It was gorgeous and sunny yesterday as we loaded up & headed west towards Superior. We went to take in the Mineral County Fair and what a enjoyable evening it was.

When we arrived at the fairgrounds, we met up with Dustin's cousin, aunt, and grandma. The talent show was wrapping up as we found a place to sit, so we decided to get something to eat. I had a great buffalo burger, some watermelon, and some of Theresa's fry bread. There was a band doing a warm up before the rodeo and they weren't too bad. We were going to attend the rodeo but we decided to all go back to the house for a little visit. Sure was a nice and cool evening to sit out on the porch. Much better than the blazing heat we've been experiencing.

Dustin decided while we were at the fair that I needed a little further Montananization. As picture shows I got my first cowboy hat but there won't be any boots in my future ; -) At any rate, I guess I'm officially initiated now.

Ryan, our RT, was out here on Friday to set up my new LTV ventilator. There wasn't much to getting it going and the transition has been so easy. This new vent only weighs 13 pounds and it's a feather compared to the beast I've been using. I'm so excited to get this and it's going to make getting around so much nicer. I'll most likely be using it as my bedside vent until we are able to get my new chair. It's kind of like Christmas in August.

I finally have everything wrapped up for school. Thursday I went over to the bookstore and picked up all my books for fall semester. I was able to order them all online, so it was a pretty painless procedure. This Tuesday I have to visit with my disability adviser to iron out the final accommodations that I will be needing. I'll also be dropping off my books to get scanned into an electronic format. Feels great to have everything taken care of and I can enjoy the rest of August.

It will be another busy week here and the Western Montana Fair is in town this week. We're going on Wednesday night to catch the pro bull riding and of course some great fair food. Should be another great Montana experience.

On a somber note, my thoughts go out to those affected by the bridge collapse in Minneapolis. I've been across that bridge before and I have relatives in the Cities. They were all just fine and I'm grateful for that. There also are many people in Western Montana who are dealing with some awful fires. Many people have been forced from their homes and are waiting in local shelters. Hopefully there will be some relief very soon.

Peace,

Mark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, I did get your BLOG and boy you have really been a busy guy. I like the cowboy hat. Rodeos remind me of the WILD HORSE STAMPEDE they have every year in Wolf Point. it really brought the people in from all over the US. The Indians set up beautiful tents and sold thier wares, tourists thot they lived like that all the time. Well Mark your dreams are now a reality, new equipment to make it nicer for you, College, new friends and so much more. God Bless you Mark, and we wish you so much happiness. Ione

Anonymous said...

Awesome writing. My boy's 24, on a vent 24/7 and is the lead singer in a band. I love that you have a life in Montana - but is it big enough for you?

take care
Marie

Jason G said...

Sounds like a fun time! I am excited for you getting to go back to school. I'd be interested in what you plan to study (apologize if you already mentioned that in another blog.) Keep up the hard work (and the hard playing around at fairs and such!)

P.S. I screwed up my first comment and didn't see an edit option.

---Jason

Anonymous said...

Hey bud, you sure seem to be ejoying life and always eager to check the next adventure out. Just promise us that you won't try to figure out how to sign up with the rodeo!Love you always.