Tuesday, April 08, 2008

A part of history












Anticipation flowed through my veins as I awoke early Saturday morning. Barack Obama was in Missoula and in a few short hours I would be listening to him speak! A moment like this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Theresa, Dustin, and I made our way to the Adams Center about 9 a.m. Surprisingly traffic wasn’t bad as we drove through the campus but the line of people waiting outside the arena stretched for blocks. We made our way through the massive crowd and one of the Obama volunteers spotted us and helped us inside. There was a short delay while we waited for security to inspect our wheelchairs but soon we were on our way to our seats.

We sat up in the skybox level which was a long way from the floor but we could see the stage pretty well. You could feel the electricity build as the arena filled up to capacity with eager spectators. Cheers emanated through the crowd as the 10 o’clock hour approached. Things got kicked off with Missoula mayor John Engen and he was followed by several other campaign staff and volunteers.

At around 10 a.m. Barack was introduced and he made his way to the stage as the thunderous chords of U2’s City of Blinding Lights blared overhead. Missoula was on its feet and ready to hear the man and his message.

I was expecting Obama to be a wonderful orator and he didn’t disappoint. He’s been criticized as having little substance in his speeches but I didn’t find that to be true at all. He has many excellent ideas and thanks to Dubya’s 8 years in power, it may take some painful measures to turn things around. Healthcare is a big concern for Obama as is the need to cut taxes on those earning $75,000 or less. I also liked his idea of providing large tax credits to college students in exchange for community service work.

Barack left the stage after talking over 45 minutes and I don’t think anybody left the arena disappointed. Missoula made history last weekend with visits by two presidential contenders and I’m glad to have been a part of it. I’ve included some pics and video of the Missoula speech courtesy of BarackObama.com

Peace…Mark

3 comments:

Jason G said...

Mark -

Isn't watching and hearing Obama like nothing else you've experienced? Like being part of history? I'm so glad you got to go and got in.

I watched the video clip and it is interesting how his stump speech has changed since the end of January. Some things same, others different, overall the same message.

P.S. ditaur's message is spam.

---Jason

Anonymous said...

I am so totally glad you got to be there. I did not make it, but I bet it truly was history in the making. Hope to see you, Dustin, T and the pugs this Summer. Shyla

Anonymous said...

Mark,
So happy you were able to experience 'Barack Obama', in person. Another great memory and experience to be added to your "Montana Memories"! Great job on the blog as usual. Nice pictures taken also.
Love you,
Mom