Friday, June 20, 2008

Celebrating Freedom






I finished my summer class on Thursday and summer vacation can now begin! The final was difficult but I'm staying optimistic about it and hoping for the best. This was an important class to get out of the way and I'm one step closer to the completion of my pre reqs. The Fall semester starts for me on August 25th.

This past Wednesday, I did something that I've wanted to do for a very long time. I went to Painless Steel here in Missoula and got my first tattoo! This tattoo is more than just ink to me though. It is a permanent reminder of my 3 1/2 year incarceration and eventual liberation from the nursing home. I've already had many people ask me about it and what a great way for me to speak out against the institutions in this country. Too many people are losing precious years of their lives in these damn places and this has to stop. I've thrived outside of the nursing home and if a guy on a vent can do it, anyone can! My success outside of an institution is proof that home based care is far superior to anything else being offered. I still have days that challenge me but at least I’m in control and can discover my true potential.

A week from this Sunday I'll be hitting the road and returning to North Dakota for a week. It will be a little strange to return to Jamestown after being gone almost two years but I'm looking forward to it. I'm really excited for the chance to catch up with family & friends that I haven't seen since moving to Missoula. This week will be extra special as Jamestown will be celebrating its 125th birthday. There are many events happening during this week of celebration and I'm hoping to take some of them in.

I may have another short update before my trip if time allows. If not, there will be an update or two when I'm on my trip. That is if the technology gods cooperate :-) I’ve added a clip of my favorite song off the new Springsteen CD. Take care and enjoy.

Peace...Mark

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Love the new tatt Mark, awesome symbol of your freedom. Where is it, on your leg? Hard to tell by the photo.

I agree with you 100% regarding institutions. We really need to push for more funding for community based services. Here in MA, way too much funding goes into institutional care, which is not only inferior, but also more expensive than community-based programs.

Anonymous said...

Hey mark, Congrats on the Tatt. What a way to celebrate your great burst of freedom. Just reminds me to stay busy on CCA and MFP. Any thoughts?? Enjoy your vacation!! Shyla

Bob said...

Hey Mark,
Great news on cardio test, nice tatt (you beat me to it...I am too indecisive;-). Have a great time back home...guess you have to be from ND to enjoy ND;-) Talk when you get back.

bob l.

Unknown said...

ok Mark, that does it. I am getting a tat. Have wanted to for years. Awesome. Freedom.

You rock my friend.

Unknown said...

FREEDOM! Glad your out and liv'in your life. North Dakota needs to get on board with Community based services.