Sunday, December 21, 2008

A week to forget

This past week has been awful and unfortunately it will be awhile until I can put this week completely behind me. Oh well I guess life occasionally deals us a rough hand and we have to do the best we can with whats been handed to us.

I went out to Community Medical Center on Monday for a CT scan and ended up in their emergency room. Things started out just fine as they got me registered and transferred onto a gurney for the scan. They took me to the CT room and they got me setup on the CT table. We were set to begin the scan and the plan was for the techs to keep my arms up and out of the way.

The CT table started moving into the machine and very suddenly my arm got caught on the edge of the tube. The machine kept going and before the technicians could get it stopped my arm made a loud snap. I knew my arm was broken and sure enough the x-ray confirmed that I had a compression fracture of my upper humerus. They wheeled me down to the ER where a trauma doctor checked me over. After consultation with an ortho it was decided that a wrap around sling would be the best way to treat my fracture. I'm hoping that things will heal up in 6 weeks but we'll have to wait and see. Needless to say I'm pretty steamed with the whole situation.

I laid low the whole week and my routine pretty much consisted of popping painkillers, sleeping, snuggling with the pugs, keeping up on email, and watching a little T.V. Not a very exciting way to spend my first official week of break :-)

Friday was the big day for my kidney procedure and things went very well. We were at the hospital bright and early to get the pre-op stuff done. The medical staff took really good care of me and I had some great doctors working on me. I was only supposed to be in the OR for an hour but it turned into 3 hours. It was nothing serious but the doctor had a hard time grasping the stone that was in my left kidney. My left kidney is all clear and I'll probably need one minor treatment to clear up my right kidney. My pain from the procedure has been very tolerable and I'm so happy about that.

Thats a wrap on the lovely week gone by. I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and safe travels if your going to be on the road.

Peace...Mark

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, what a great way you look at life, our Dewey had the same, if something was wrong he went right away to Dr. Am so happy you are where you get such great medical care. Just another hurdle Mark, and then you will be on the mend.
Mark we want to wish you a VERY BLESSED CHRISTMAS & MUCH HAPPINESS IN 2009.
Our Love and Prayers
Duane and Ione

Anonymous said...

glad you are on the mend!Shyla

Cindy said...

So sorry to hear about your accident! That's terrible Mark. :-(

Anonymous said...

Mark:

If everyone could have the positive outlook that you have the world sure would be a better place.
God Bless you.

You never cease to amaze me and give me hope for Jacob's future:)

Josh Winheld said...

That's awful about your injury! Hope it heals quickly...