Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Montana Freedom

Last Sunday I started my new life outside of the nursing home, here in Missoula, Montana. It is truly an amazing feeling to be living in freedom and not in the confines of an institution. Missoula is a beautiful city and it's awesome to see the mountains everywhere you look.

This week has been busy with adjusting to a new routine, getting my new services set up, and a visit to Target and Albertsons. There have also been new people to meet and everybody has been great to me.

I am living with my friends Theresa and Dustin and their 5 adorable Pugs. Dustin has the same type of Muscular Dystrophy I have and he is also a vent user. Both Theresa and Dustin are very involved in disability advocacy and political issues here in Montana. I very much look forward to getting involved in these issues myself.

In the weeks and months to come you can look for frequent updates to my blog. I'll be posting about my Montana adventures and I will be sure to include many photos as well.

On a personal note, I must extend my thanks and gratitude for all the support that my family and friends have shown me in my battle to exit the nursing home. I miss all of you deeply and will stay in touch.

I will go for now but you can look for another update very soon. Take care.

Mark

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW Mark!!! congratulations!!! All your hard work has paid off. good luck!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Mark. I am soooo happy for you I can't begin to tell you! Keep us posted. Good luck and enjoy your freedom!!! :)

Joanie (JoJo)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark, Nice to see your up and running again!! We sure miss ya! Theres just nothing to do in the afternoons anymore!! I'm happy for ya! Keep us posted on what you're up to! Tell Mom that we would still enjoy her delicious brownies!! HEHE! Don't forget us when you come and visit! Now who are we going to have speak at JC this year!?? Well talk to ya later.
Heather

Anonymous said...

MARK, I DID NOT KNOW OF YOUR PLANS THIS TIME, BUT I AM SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU. YOU ARE A VERY SPECIAL PERSON WHICH I KNEW THE FIRST DAY WE MET IN JAMESTOWN. I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU, YOU DESERVE THE HAPPINESS THAT I AM SURE YOU WILL EXPERIENCE THEIR. PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH. LORETTA

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you Mark. What a beautiful state for a beautiful person. I thank the Lord you are there.

Jason G said...

Mark,
This is such awesome news. I am really happy for you. One question - on May 19th you said your first attempt to make it to Missoula did not work out for you - what happened between then and now? I'd love to read that blog to hear how you kept on trying!

Anonymous said...

So glad you persevered and got to Montana to live with friends.
Your courage is an example and gives moral support and strength to many others.
Wishing you and your friends all the best
andrea

Anonymous said...

This is a journey of more than just freedom from institution living; it is a completely new beginning. God bless

Cindy said...

Congratz to you Mark, super news, I'm so happy for you!
Cindy (Aaron's Tracheostomy Page)

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy! Congratulations on finally getting to Montana again. I'm gonna miss you. You take care of yourself and know that you are in my prayers and that I'm thinking of you often.

Your friend, Don Maack

Anonymous said...

im glad to hear you made it .i wish you wuuld have said bye.sure has been to quite aroubd the home with out you.i hope you can keep in touch

Anonymous said...

You never know how much you will miss someone until they are gone! So just remember that you are missed but have the time of your life while you are there!! Call a lot!! love you lots! Nichole

CoalWood said...

Kewl Beans Mark!!! Love you blog, and welcome to the blog-world. I will add a link in my blog to you.
Good Luck!
AL Masters
Plano, TX
CripRevolution

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog and your attitude about things.

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog and your attitude about things.

Kay Olson said...

This is such excellent news! I hope you provide lots of details in the coming months of what you're up to and how things have changed.