Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Stories...






Quality storytelling is something that I've always been in awe of. A quality storyteller brings their reader/viewer along for the journey and you feel a part of the events transpiring before you. It is an experience that leaves you with the feeling that you witnessed something out of the ordinary. I stumbled across one of these stories last week.

I was surfing around Netflix late at night looking for something interesting to watch. When I'm in this state of mind, I usually am perusing the documentaries that are in their vast catalog. The title Bulls of Suburbia stuck out to me and I had to check it out.

Bulls of Suburbia is the story of American born Alex Lemay. Lemay spent a great deal of his childhood in Spain where he developed an affinity for bullfighting. This documentary follows Alex as he battles his alcohol addiction and pursues his dream of becoming a matador. Alex enrolled in a California bullfighting school where he began learning this complex art. The movie follows Alex through his training, participation in tientas (training sessions with young livestock), and eventually a one on one with a mature bull.

Now I realize this is a controversial subject with many people but I appreciated the art and culture surrounding bullfighting. Check out the included trailer if you have a further interest in this film.

As I type this, our little Sammy is at puppy school with Theresa. I'm sure he'll do great and will melt the hearts of all the people he encounters. I've included some pictures of our growing boy. The second picture was taken after he investigated the catnip. Never a dull moment in this house!

It's time to go dine on some corn beef, potatoes, and carrots. Happy St. Patrick's Day and I'll catch you all later...Mark

2 comments:

Wheelchair Hiker said...

Enjoyed your blog today.

Cheers,

Mark

Jenn said...

Sammy is just too darn cute!