Sunday, March 30, 2008

Spring break trip

I got to take a trip Saturday morning and unfortunately it wasn’t to an exotic sandy beach. It was a trip to the ER where I had a morning of poking, prodding and X-rays. Not the way I was envisioning ending an otherwise relaxing week :-)

It all started Friday when I went out to lunch and a matinee at the theater. My chest began hurting and my breathing got really tight during the afternoon. I crawled into bed, took some Tylenol and it seemed to help for a little while, that is until I wanted to turn the lights off.

At about 1 a.m. my ventilator pressures continued to rise and this caused my vent alarm to sound constantly. I tried my nebs and Cough Assist treatments but things didn’t improve. Eventually I was able to sleep for 90 minutes but then the problems returned. I decided it was time to seek medical help and the ambulance took me to the ER.

They did a breathing treatment right away and that helped a little. I played the role of the human pincushion for about an hour and finally they hit pay dirt. We also did an X-ray and a few other tests to rule some things out. The doc came in and said I had a slight inflammation in my lung tissue. I was discharged Saturday afternoon and sent home with a supply of steroid meds and antibiotics. The folks at Community Hospital were great and took awesome care of me. They remembered me from my last visit and that helped out a lot.

I felt much better last night and slept great. Today I’ve done well and I feel almost normal. Oh well the weekend wasn’t dull and spring break has come to a close. I’ll be going to class tomorrow if things continue to go fine. 6 weeks to go and I can feel the intensity building already.

Peace, Mark

Getting out of the hospital is a lot like resigning from a book club. You're not out of it until the computer says you're out of it. -- Erma Bombeck

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you're OKAY!! Shyla

Unknown said...

Mark,
Not a good way to spend your last days of spring break. I hope you feel much better. Get rest, stay calm, and don't overdo.


always
annette

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark, As usual, you make things seem almost comical, of course, I can relate to the ER visit and how you do have to laugh or you'll cry mentality about it all! Glad they hit pay dirt, I also can relate to that with Bryant. It's like a celebration when they get blood! Hope your week gets better and you are back in class, we all know, of course, you have class, that's why we luv you so :) Peace, Cheryl & Bryant

Anonymous said...

Good to hear your health is on the mend. I wasnt sure if you were going into journalism or going to be a polutocrat. There must be some correlation. You will probably find that in a 300 level class. Best of luck as you finish your 1st year of class. We are all inspired by your achievements.